This year, PACEM is hoping to extend its shelter season! Typically, our season begins at the end of October and runs through the end of March, a total of 22 weeks each year. Recently, however, the PACEM Board of Directors decided to expand the season by two additional weeks – closing our doors in mid-April – but only if we receive the necessary funds.
Extending by two weeks is just a start, but will hopefully give our guests more of a reprieve from the traditional spring rains as they prepare for the warmer months of summer. However, each additional week costs around $6000 so we are seeking to raise nearly 12,000 additional dollars for our two week extension.
For every night of shelter, we need to compensate the good work of our seasonal staff. Alongside the compassionate and generous work of our volunteers, we require the following:
1. two intake workers who accompany our guests to shelter (one for each shelter)
2. two overnight security people (again, one for each shelter)
3. Jaunt bus drivers to take our guests to and from shelter
4. one 2-hour security staff for the hours of intake
5. a shelter director to oversee the whole evening process
6. And, of course, our case manager and program director will also be working additional hours.
Your support has always been the reason we are able to provide our homeless neighbors with shelter and compassionate support. If you are able to support this expansion – even in part – please do. If you are unable to do so but know someone who can, please relay this information to them. Contact Executive Director Dawn Grzegorczyk at Dawn@pacemshelter.org for more information.